How did 2 vegans and 1 vegetarian stay well fed on a road trip from Georgia to Washington? Is it possible to make it across the state of South Dakota without eating meat (and also not starving)? But how healthy did we actually eat during 7 days of driving cross country? Find out below!
- Protein bars
TIP: make sure the bar you choose has a good ratio of protein to sugar – I prefer bars with at least 20 grams of protein and less than 5 grams of sugar. Try the Quest brand in oatmeal chocolate chip or ONE in glazed donut!
- Greek yogurt (again – watch the sugar content)
- Freeze-dried fruit
- Lightly salted mixed nuts
- Dark chocolate covered nuts (a better option than candy bars!)
- Potato chip alternatives such as pea crisps or whole grain crackers
When traveling, my philosophy with food is to make healthy choices about 75% and splurge the other 25%, and the splurges I do have are usually local treats. That way I have a good balance of healthy eating while also enjoying what the area has to offer!
The Southern V
Vegan. Soul. Food. That’s about all you need to know. Stop by for some killer jackfruit BBQ, crispy “chicken” sandwiches, creamy mac and cheese, and classic baked beans.
KANSIS CITY, MO
Cafe Gratitude was a gem to discover a few years back when we road-tripped to Colorado for a vacation. The entire menu is plant-based and they have a huge range of raw options as well – try the chai milkshake which is to die for!
SIOUX CITY, IA
Coffee and Nosh Food Truck
Such a fun find in the small town of Sioux City, Iowa which hosts Food Truck Fridays over the summer! We got one of their bowls with jackfruit instead of meat. It was a fresh and delicious snack!
RAPID CITY, SD
I’ll admit it – I was a bit wary of trying an Indian/Nepalese restaurant in South Dakota. But Everest Cuisine was a delicious surprise with a great variety of vegetarian and vegan options! Their vegetable samosas and yellow lentil dish never disappoint.
Taco Johns + Taco Time
So no, fast food Mexican is generally not a super healthy dining option. But play the menu right and you can put together a quick vegetarian meal that is a way better option than french fries or cheese pizza. The bean tacos and burritos from Taco Johns are a solid choice, and you can get a side of guacamole for only $1.00! Taco Time is another great option as they offer bowls which can easily be made vegetarian.
Boy, did we get lucky in Bozeman. Dinner was from Red Tractor Pizza: with vegan crust and cheese options and a huge range of fresh, locally-sourced ingredients, you can put together an amazing pizza (I recommend adding fresh basil, rosemary roasted squash, and roasted brussel sprouts)! We were equally spoiled the next morning with The Nova Cafe’s breakfast of a blue algae smoothie bowl and potato hash with forbidden black rice – the perfect way to kick off your day.
So. Many. Restaurants.
Seriously, there are soooo many crazy good vegetarian/vegan options in and around Seattle. From an entirely plant-based restaurant chain only found on the west coast (Veggie Grill) to vegan nachos (El Borracho), pizza (Pizza Pi), donuts (Mighty-O Donuts) and more, Seattle has so much to offer.
There you have it folks. Thanks so much for reading, and stay tuned for more Seattle-related posts soon!